Monday, October 16, 2006

Fibonacci in da house!!!

Okay, I know I can't pull that off!! =) Well, it snowed here in Wisconsin. Not anything heavy, but it snowed and it's the freakin' middle of October. On this one snowy morning, S looked at me and said, "Outside?" I realized at that moment, my son has no hats or scarves for this winter. He luckily has a really cool jacket that I just won off of eBay, but nothing else. So I called L, "Let's meet for lunch and take the kids to Joann's. " Off we went.

First, we are those women I would roll my eyes at with unending spite prior to having a child. S and V were all over the place, in a good way. S was going after needles and V was looking at books. They were chasing each other down the aisles and S was tormenting V in a way that only S can torment his girlfriend! Neither met any of my criteria for removal from the scene (blood, property damage, or all out tantrum) so we shopped! I got 3 skeins of Wool-Ease and decided to make mittens along with the hat and scarves.

Once I got home I got an itch to do something new and fun with a boring ol' scarf so I decided to use the Fibonacci method of knitting. I saw an episode on Knitty Gritty about Fibonacci knitting. Here's a blurb about Fibonacci from the Knitty Gritty website:

First off, you need to know that there is a number Phi (1.6180339887498948482) that is an expression of something called the golden ratio. Since ancient times, it has been known that using this golden ratio enabled designers to create art and buildings that were most pleasing to the human eye. Even Mother Nature used the golden ratio when designing spiraled things such as shells and sunflowers! Then, in the 13th century, a guy named Leonardo Fibonacci (Fee-bo-nah-chee) discovered that when he took a number (starting with 0), added the previous number to it and continued doing that with each resulting sum, he arrived at a unique sequence of numbers (0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21...) that had golden ratio-like properties. As he went further and further out in the sequence, he found that the ratio of one of the numbers to the one preceding it began to approach the golden ratio!

So you basically just knit Fibonacci numbered rows for an aestheticly pleasing item without your normal stripe pattern.

Well, I did it and I LOVE the results. The scarf is all Fibonacci and I even used each color 8 times!! The blue and yellow in the hat are sequenced, but the grey isn't! I'm quite fond of the scarf though!! Now all it needs to do is snow again! It was in the 50s today, so no need for all this garb!!